Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hospital Visit

So on Thursday I had a doctor appointment. Everything was going fine until the nurse took my blood pressure. She took it right after I peed in the cup and it was high, so she had me just sit there for a few minuets hoping it would go down after getting on the bed. When she took it again, it was still high. It was 141/84. This number caused concern with my doctor and she had me go to the hospital after my appointment. She checked Colin's heart rate like normal and he was right where he needed to be, which was a relief. At first I was really scared that my blood pressure was so high. I was thinking off all kinds of worse case scenarios. The one I thought of most was that I would be delivering Colin that day. Having Joel with me the whole time was a great comfort. I don't know how well I would have handled things on my own. On the drive to St. Mark's I had started to calm down, which was really helpful with being able to talk to the nurses. When I got to the hospital I had to talk to the billing and coding lady to be put into their system. I then went to get an ultrasound to check the amniotic fluid levels, which were all good. They then took me to the triage room and had me take a stress test which consisted of them hooking me up to the fetal monitor and a blood pressure cuff and having the thing take my blood pressure every 15 minuets. After about 2 hours they sent me home with a 24 hour urine collection jug and told me that every time I went pee I was to put it in this jug and bring it back the next day so they could see if there was protein in my pee. (Having to do that was so weird and a very annoying task.) So on Friday I went back and they did another stress test and they took some blood to do some other labs. All of my tests came back just fine. I just have gestational hypertension. So far the doctor's orders are that I just need to take it easy and not do too much. The OB that was at the hospital said that I might be delivering 4 to 5 weeks early, but we will see how things go. It is going to be hard to just sit. I am more of a doer than a sitter. But I know that my wanting to have Colin be healthy is more of priority than curing my own boredom. While we were at the hospital Joel took the liberty of taking some pictures, mostly out of sheer boredom. And the picture of the drinks is included because on Friday the ice chips were all that I could have. I didn't complain too much because they were abnormally tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment